Saturday, June 29, 2013

Grandma Weston

My grandma passed away this past friday.  Vernetta Coombs Weston.  She was the last grandmother I had.  She was my fathers mother.  I knew her the best and longest of any grandparent.  I can't really believe she's gone.  She's been sick for a little while so I know she's happy to be gone and with my grandfather.  Growing up I have a lot of memories of her correcting me.  I know she was trying to make me a better person but I didn't always realize that.  And I like to think that maybe I reminded her a bit of herself so she wanted me to be better.  I was the only grandchild kind of named after her.  I'm pretty sure deep down I was her favorite.  Some of my favorite memories of her are when she'd come every Sunday for dinner and bring a seven layer dip or artichoke dip. Or at Thanksgiving when she'd bring creamed onions. 
Last year, a couple days after having Lucy, my sister drove us up to Utah by way of Farmington, NM so we could show my grandmother her newest great-grand child.  I'm so grateful we stopped.  It was the last time I saw her alive and I love that I have a picture of her and Lucy. 
I was able to attend her funeral.  I was most excited to see a lot of family that I haven't seen in years.  It was neat to reminisce about her life and be apart of saying goodbye to her.
I will miss my Grandma Weston but I'm so happy that she's been reunited with my Grandpa.
She loved twizzlers
 Grandma Weston and Lucy Jo 
July 2012

No comments: