Friday, July 24, 2009

My 2 Jobs

I have two jobs. I was planning on doing what most teachers do and taking the summer off but when opportunities present themselves, you have to take them.
Job #1:
Medical Billing - Not my dream job. A lady in the ward down here does it out of her home and offered me the job after being here one week. (I'm pretty sure she was impressed by how healthy I am.) I only work there part time, in the mornings. When I was younger I dreamed of working in the business world. It's not for me. I can't sit at a computer all day and not talk to people except to tell them they have a balance on their account and ask them how I can help them resolve it. I need interaction with people. But on the plus side I have learned a lot about insurances and how the system works, the ladies I work with are super great, and it's pretty flexible so if I need time off I can have it.
Job #2:
The Quilt Cottage - Last summer when we were here I found the shop and would occasionally buy fabric and dream about working at a place like it. After we got back in Utah when people would ask what I was going to do once we moved I would say perhaps teach but that I'd love to work at the quilt shop. But most quilt shops don't really hire people off the streets, they just have people they've know for a hundred years working for them. So after going in a few times my first week here and offering my services the owner hired me :) It's been heaven! I love it! I work about 3-4 times a week in the afternoons and sometimes Saturdays. It's so fun talking to women (and a few men) about fabric and the different projects they are buying fabric for. I do sew but quilting is totally different. I'm learning a ton and feel like this may be the only time in my life I get this opportunity. I've started my first quilt and will post pictures later.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad that you have this time to have your dream job! Texas sounds like quite the romantic place!

Rob & Emily Willardson Family said...

You are a doll! I can totally see you doing this!! Hope life is going great and you survive girl's camp :)

Angie said...

Any quilting picture updates? I can't wait to visit and hope that it includes some time in the quilt shop, too. I'd love a quilting buddy/mentor! :)
Love you! Give that bro of mine a big hug for me, too.
~Ang