Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm Done!!!


About 14 months ago I started a masters program through National University (located in San Diego, CA). It was a Masters in Education. Each class was a month long, jammed packed but flew by quickly. Our "capstone" or thesis project was to write the National Board Certified Teacher portfolio. (Teachers who do this don't have to re-certify for 10 years and in Utah get an extra $1000 a year for 10 years) I'm not able to submit my portfolio because I haven't been teaching the required amount of time. For this portfolio we had to video tape ourselves teaching, discuss how we assess our students, with specific examples of two students, and discuss how we work with parents, the community, continued learning, and our leadership opportunities. Last night at 6:30pm I turned in my portfolio!!! It's over, I'm finished, it's completed!!! I can't believe it. There was a time when it was questionable whether or not I'd finish a BS. There are multiple reasons I decided to do this program, it was fast, I was single when it started, and I get paid more (about $200 more a month!). It's been just about the only thing on my mind...what will I do now? Here's a list of things I've missed the last 14 months and can now "get back into:"
-sewing
-reading for fun (if you've read anything really great lately let me know)
-exercising (it's happened a bit on and off)
-getting into one or two TV shows (probably LOST and Bones or AI)
-teaching my classes at school
-leading the ward choir
-staying in touch with long lost friends
-etc, etc, etc

The official graduation is May 1st but I'm celebrating now. You're all welcome to celebrate with me. Oh and please call me "Master Lynette" :)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Master Lynette . . . Congratulations!! It is a huge accomplishment and I glory in academic. You should too :)

El Scorcho said...

Well done Lynnette.

Rebekah B. said...

Congratulations! From one master to another. hee hee.

Michelle & Steve said...

Do you realize that you are more educated than I am? It just hit me...I can't tell anyone to call me Master Michelle. I really am quite envious, and now I'll listen to whatever you say because clearly, you know more!!

B & J Weston said...

Dear Master Lynette,

Congratulations on this wonderful accomplishment and who knows what the future will bring to your masterful self and your masterful enduring husband over the next year! Maybe some wonderful experiences which will make you happy that you have stood on this pinnacle of progress before reaching into the valley of humility! Congratulations again!

Barb & Sean said...

Wa-hooo! Congratulations, Master Lynette! I just read "The Magic of Ordinary Days" and liked it. Can't remember who wrote it.