Monday, September 1, 2008

Mono y Mono


Anthony has Mono. Yes it's called the "Kissing Disease" but he keeps informing me that he hasn't been kissing anyone but me since last September. About 3 weeks ago he started out with a fever which moved into stomach, lower abdomen pain. We spent a memorable night in the ER where he was diagnosed with Mono. (Really it's not my favorite thing to see my husband for less than a year in a hospital bed writhing in pain because of an unfavorable reaction to some generic morphine and other meds to help calm the stomach pain. They quickly injected valuum and morphine, a large dose which put him out completely. I couln't even get a respose out of him when I tried to joke about how handsome he looked in the hospital garb. The doctor ran some very expensive tests, CT Scan, and still didn't know what he had so had a ultrasound performed. One of my best friends Mandy was on call so she got to do the ultrasound. We had some pretty funny laughs about her opportunity. Thanks Mandy for diagnoses of an inlarged spleen.) His spleen, liver and pancreas were inflamed, so we were told he had a severe case of Mono. They immediately started him on steroids and a pain killer. He was really tired for a week. That next Monday (1st day of school at the U) he broke out in a head to foot body rash (he wouldn't let me take a picture). Only 20% of those that get mono get the rash, lucky him. He missed his first week classes. (Is the first week really that important?!) Good news: the rash is getting better. Slowly, but surely. We're hoping he'll be ok to start back to school this week. (The doctor also told us that 50% of those that get mono this severe end up dropping out of school to recover. We hope not to be apart of those stats.) We still don't know how he got this illness and there is only a 20% chance that I'll get it. You may be wondering what he has been doing while being quarintined...sleeping, olympic watching, sleeping, tv show watching, sleeping, movie watching, eating otter pops and did I mention sleeping.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! They say that if you can survive a crisis in the first years of marriage, you're going to make it--just keep on hanging in there! Just kidding, I totally made that up but it sounds logical--don't you think? I hope that Anth just keeps getting better and doesn't have to drop out of school.

Rachel said...

Thank you for documenting Anthony's near-death crisis! I can see that you two fit perfect together now! Just kidding - I always knew you were perfect for eachother.

I hope he gets feeling better soon, and hopefully he won't have to drop out of class!

Allison said...

Oh poor guy, it's a good thing he has an amazing wife to take care of him. Just tell him to return the favor once you get pregnant and have your head in the toilet.:P

Arlo & Kara said...

I hope you are not one of the statistics of dropping out for a semester. I was one of those statistics many a year ago at USU. Rest up and feel better.

-Kara

Kristen said...

Wow, that is tough. I remember getting mono in high school, and I can tell you that I was NOT kissing anyone! I just caught it out of the air or something (weak immune system). I sure hope he will feel better...