Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Goodbye Dolly

We're still alive! We survived our first Hurricane! Truth be told, I was a bit disappointed. It was fun to watch the torrential downpour, sheets and sheets of rain, huge gusts of wind, trees bending over, thunder that shook the apartment building and lightening that lit the whole city, but I was hoping for a bit more. I'm not really sure what, maybe cars covered with water or houses destroyed . Ok, I am thankful that it wasn't any worse than it was. I did go for a walk out in the hurricane and had to be careful that my umbrella didn't get blown away or turned wrong side out.

Dolly made landfall at about 1pm (Texas time) about 1 1/2 to 2 hours south of us. Anthony went into work this morning (I was a bit upset about this, his work is in the direction of the hurricane, what if it had been worse?!) so I was here by myself. I tried to get some great pictures but I only have them from my apt. From what I can determine from the inside of my apt. Corpus didn't receive extensive damage. Perhaps a little flooding but nothing serious. Right now we have light rain and windy conditions. It should be clear by this time tomorrow and everyone will be wondering if we really had a hurricane (or so I've been told).

So we have weathered a hurricane (pun intended:) We didn't die, but almost, and how we know what to do in case of this type of natural disaster. I'm trying to think of other natural disasters people I know have been in. If you've been in one let me know.

This pictures are of our parking lot, can you see the rain coming down??? The second one is out our living room window. The trees are really blowing!!! I'll try to attach more pictures later.

6 comments:

Michelle & Steve said...

Phew! That was a close call! I'm glad you guys made it through - otherwise who would update us on the "possibilities of you dying?"

I also should tell you that Steve, Sally and I have also lived through a hurricane. I think it was called Hurricane Isabel and part of it hit Philly September 2003.

And I also need to clarify that it was ME and Shawn who had Hauntavirus. I guess I'm the walking miracle, eh, Rachel?

Unknown said...

Thanks for updating so quickly--I was getting so nervous.

I don't think I've actually been through any natural disasters but I did live on an active volcanic island. It erupted in 1995 and I was there in 1999. If it had erupted while I was there--I wouldn't be here now. So you might say I almost died.

Also, as far as sicknesses go, I've had my fair share--kidney stones, shingles, Bell's palsy! It's a good thing I'm so resilient!

Diane said...

Thank goodness you're still here. Life just wouldn't be the same without you! I lived through pioneer trek (I thought I'd never be warm again) and many youth conferences and girls camp, but never a hurricane. Bring a fallen leaf home for us!

Sarah said...

The only natural disaster I have "lived" through is the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. I still remember watching that dark ask cloud in the sky. Crazy.

Lisa & Jason said...

Lynette,I was chosen as your swap partner and just discovered that the package was never delivered. I guess UPS returned it but not to me!?

I would be happy to make another set and send it to your Utah address. Give me a few weeks. So sorry.

Adam and Shalisa said...

Glad that both of you are okay and that you made it. We have lived through hurricane season for the last 4 years in South Carolina and I am glad we are done with that.

p.s. Love the blog!